Thursday, May 26, 2011

Nifty Banana Holder…

I was at a friend’s house recently and saw something that I knew I wanted.  It was… wait for it… a banana holder.  I know.  It’s the little things that make me happy. 

Now, it’s important to note that I already own a banana holder.  Years ago I got tired of the bottom of my bananas getting all brown and bruised, and I headed over to Target and bought this:

       031

Way back when I bought the banana holder, it matched all the blonde wood cabinets in my house. I also had no problem letting it take up space as I had so much countertop realty that I could have parked a small VW bug on my counters.  Okay, I’m exaggerating, (just a little bit) but those countertops did seem to stretch on forever. 

Since moving to our new home in Minnesota a few years ago, my little banana holder no longer matched anything in my kitchen.  If you’ve read this post, you know how much I like things to coordinate.  And so, every time I pulled it out of the cupboard, I would glare menacingly at it while trying to figure out how to make it go with the rest of my kitchen.  Not to mention it was taking up valuable space on my much smaller countertop area.   After two years in this house, I realized my options were to either buy a new, smaller banana holder, or spray paint the one I had. 

And then I saw the coolest thing.  While at my friends house, I saw that her bananas were hanging  suspended from under her cabinets.  A quick peek confirmed that, yep, the banana hook was simply screwed into the bottom of the cupboard. 

I went home inspired, and searched my house for a little hangy hook to hang my bananas from.  Realizing I didn’t have what I needed in the house, I wrote down ‘banana hangy hook’ on my Home Depot list and then went to take a ‘before’ picture of my banana holder from Target. 

It was then that I saw that the hook on the banana holder was just screwed into the holder.  After making sure that the screw was not longer than the thickness of the bottom of the cabinet (did that make any sense?), I screwed the hook into a hole that was already in the bottom of my cabinet.

 037

Please ignore the red paint smudge on the bottom edge of the cabinet.  I’ll fix it later, promise. ; )

I think the previous owners of our house must have had a whole array of things hanging from the bottom of these cabinets, based on how many holes I found.  If you don’t happen to have any handy predrilled holes in the bottom of your cabinets, it should still be pretty easy to just screw the hook in, or drill a smaller sized hole for the hook to go into.

IMPORTANT:  Before trying to drill/screw anything into the cabinets, make sure the screw is not going to go all the way through the bottom of the cabinet and make an appearance on the inside.  I will not be held responsible for pokey things sticking out of the top of the bottom shelf. ; )

033

I love my new banana hanger.  You don’t know how happy I am that:

1. I don’t have to look at the old mismatched banana hanger

2. I don’t have to store the banana hanger when not in use and

3.  I didn’t have to spend any money. 

Woot!  That’s a good day, people. : )

 

4 awesome thoughts:

ElphiaDesigns said... Best Blogger Tips

Rock on! I am SO doing this at some point in my life. However, we go through eating phases in this house and no one will eat bananas!

Anonymous said... Best Blogger Tips

I love this idea so much- Living in a small apartment, space for a bananna holder is slim. This would fix my problem.. BRILLIANT!

Kimberlee@ThePeacefulMom.com said... Best Blogger Tips

Love it! I HATE having stuff all over the counters.

Kristin Marriott said... Best Blogger Tips

Awesome! If this idea cleared some counter space in just one kitchen, then my job here is done ; )

~Kristin

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...